Thursday, February 11, 2016

#Relatable

When reading Feed I often come across things I question. Things that don’t sit well with me. But when I really think about those things I find out that they’re really not that strange. And while this book is fiction, there are a lot of truths within and I’m sure we can all relate. You see, every generation reads their world differently. What is normal to one generation could be completely bizarre to another.
By learning this type of mindset I have come to accept the world of Feed.
Here’s another way of looking at it… one of the central themes in this novel is “Man and the Natural World”. This is tricky because everybody interprets the “natural world” differently. You cannot place a solid definition to it because like I said, the understanding of the world changes with each generation.
To Titus and his friends the natural world is living with the Feed. Living with not having to use their mouths to speak or their eyes to see. And to us, the people of now, the natural world includes using voices.
Okay so what if I was living like Titus, I was part of his generation or even in his group of friends. I cannot say for sure that I would act just like them because they do seem pretty immature to me but who knows? To the people living in their world Titus and his friends probably don’t seem immature because that’s the normal way to be. So I’d totally see where they’re coming from when they say that the moon turned out to suck. I don’t exactly think that I would go into mal for fun though because that can be paralleled to today’s drugs, and I don’t do drugs.



And I already kind of see a bunch of similarities between their lives and mine. I see that they like to have fun, party, go out and I love doing that with my friends too. I see that they rely on technology to communicate like I rely on my phone for my schedule, telling time and talking to my friends. They have their own slang like unit and unette, mal and youch (btw the first time I heard “youch” as describing someone attractive was in the Antz movie.. ) and we have our own slang. I am sure if they heard me talk they would have the same reaction as I did while I was reading the book.
Other than the language in the novel, there are a lot of events that I can relate to. Big example, when the girls all change their hairstyles because what was “in” had changed.
“Once she went the bathroom, casual-like, and came back with her hair parted a different place. Calista and Quendy watched her.
Later, without saying anything, they went and did theirs different like that, too.” (Anderson 52)
I can relate because from my own observations, almost every day there is a new things that grabs the attention of everyone and with a unanimous vote it becomes popular.
Another thing I found that I can personally relate to is their love of shows. I love watching shows on Netflix when I’m bored, eating, or want to chill.
While Titus and his friends were in the hospital for being hacked, the one friend that wasn’t effected came in to talk and then got excited because a show she liked was playing on her feed. They all got excited too and told her to tell them what was happening.
“Then Loga came in to the hospital for a while, and we were all talking to her about stuff when she stopped for a second because the girls’ favorite feedcast, Oh? Wow! Thing!, was on. They were all like, “Tell us what’s happening, tell us what’s happening,” so we all gathered around her in our little gowns, and she sat there cross-legged on the bed and told us, “Okay, so like now…..””. (Anderson 58)


From far away, Titus’s world may seem strange, but when you take a closer look you come to realize that we are more alike than you think.

Kamelia A. Prompt 2
Work Cited
Anderson, M. T. Feed. Cambridge, MA: Candlewick, 2002. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment